Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Garam Masala, Sichuan Peppercorn and Pecan Encrusted Salmon

That's a loooong title! This dish came out really interesting, to say the least.


Follow Me on Pinterest

I purchased Sichuan Peppercorn recently, from importfood.com. Sichuan peppercorns are a relatively unknown spice here in the States, I found out about it reading food blogs. It is used prominently in Sichuan cooking, hence the name. It is also one of the spices in Chinese Five-Spice. In Chinese it is called huājiāo, meaning flower pepper. Sichuan peppercorns are NOT actually peppercorns, but rather the seed and husk from a plant related to citrus trees, and native to China. What's unique to this spice is the 'numbing' effect it creates on the tongue, creating a tingly sensation. You could clearly feel it doing so in this salmon dish!


On a canoeing trip in the ozarks, I purchased this beautiful mortar and pestle, and immediately had to put it to work on coming home. My camera phone does no justice to how beautiful it really is. (After some studying, I'm now saving for one of these. The camera makes a mountain of difference in the quality of photos, as I've been discovering. Photography is a complicated world, and I am but a beginner - I have no photography experience at all!! I feel that the road ahead is a long one.) Sichuan Peppercorn should be toasted and then ground, a perfect first crushing task for my new tool!

After toasting and crushing 1 TBS of peppercorns, (which gave the kitchen the most amazing aroma) I added 1 TBS garam masala, a dash of white pepper, a dash of cayenne pepper, and 1 TBS cinnamon. Cinnamon should be the dominant spice flavor. Feeling the urge to use my really-pretty mortar and pestle some more, I grabbed a handful of pecans, and crushed them up, too. Total pecans would have been about 2 TBS worth, very finely crushed, with just a few pea-sized chunks of pecan visible.

I briefly brined the fish before hand, using 1/4 cup sea salt, 4 cups water (half of that ice cubes) and 2 TBS rice wine vinegar. Ideally, meats should be brined overnight, but I only did mine for about 2 hours.

Also, you'll notice in the recipe that I did not dip in egg before applying the coating. There is no need to! I simply brushed some maple syrup on for sweetness, and then rubbed on the spice mixture. Once I had done that, I then turned on the oven and allowed it to warm up, so that the fish could rest. Doing this causes the mixture to adhere to the flesh. This will work for any coating. Even when doing an egg coating beforehand, I would recommend allowing the meat to rest with its breading on before baking or frying. It's the secret to getting coatings to stick.

Came out delicious, will make again some time. Served with baked acorn squash. I look forward to using my sichuan peppercorns in more dishes, soon!




print recipe

Garam Masala, Sichuan Peppercorn and Pecan Encrusted Salmon

Ingredients
  • 2 thick fillets Salmon
  • 1 TBS garam masala
  • 1 TBS sichuan peppercorn, toasted and ground
  • 1 TBS cinnamon
  • 2 dashes white pepper
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 TBS pecans, crushed
  • 1 TBS, or enough to coat tops and sides of fish maple syrup
Instructions
1. Rinse off salmon fillets, or, brine before hand.  
2. Add garam masala, sichuan pepper corn, cinnamon, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and pecans to bowl. Mix well. 
3. Laying fish out on a foil covered pan, take maple syrup and brush over fish, on tops and sides. Discard left over syrup. Allow to rest for a minute.
 4. Rub the spice mixture onto the salmon, covering tops and sides thickly. I didn't apply to bottom. Allow fish to rest this way for 5 minutes, to ensure that coating sticks.  
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Back fish for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on wellness preference. 15 minutes will produce medium, 20 minutes medium-well to well done.
Yield: 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment