Monday, October 15, 2012

Baked Acorn Squash

There are so many things to love about fall, especially down here in the hills of Kentucky. The colors are gorgeous this year! I just returned from a float trip in the Ozarks, meeting up with my father and a couple of his friends. My camera phone just doesn't do justice to how beautiful the trees were down there, so I left it out. Instead, I give you dad and I! (Photos of family is what's most important, anyway.) We are tiny, but it's really me.

*I just noticed that the title for this was misspelled. Looked at this thing just about 100 times, and still missed it. Whoops....



Follow Me on Pinterest

Another of my favorite fall things is the appearance of acorn squash in my local grocer's. I LOVE this vegetable, especially when it is baked with cinnamon, sugar and butter. Plus, it's shaped like a heart! Must eat more cute food.

I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible, so that the spices don't outdo the rich, nutty flavor of the squash. I do use real butter, but in this case, I substituted the classic brown sugar for a medium-colored agave nectar and pure maple syrup instead. Sugar is much worse for you than butter, amazingly enough. Agave nectar and maple syrup, not so much.

To speed up the cooking process, I poke holes in the squash, marking a line to where I'm eventually going to cut it in half.  Not only does this speed up the baking time, but it also makes it easier to cut through.

I place it in the microwave for 2 minutes, flipping it over half-way through. You should let it rest a few minutes before cutting it in half, (unless you're impatient like me. Then you'll be cutting it going Ow! That's hot! Ouch! Geez! Ow!)

Another trick - to prevent the halves from tipping over and dumping all the goodies out, cut off a small part of the shell beneath, cutting slightly into the fruit.

Simple. Delicious. Every time.



print recipe


Baked Acorn Squash

The simple, classic way to serve acorn squash

Ingredients
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 2 TBS butter, melted
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 TBS Agave nectar
  • 1 TBS maple syrup
  • Alternatively:
  • 2 TBS brown sugar
Instructions:
1. Poke holes in the shell of the acorn squash, running along where the squash will eventually be divided. Place on a plate, microwave 1 minute. Turn over, microwave 1 more minute. 

2. Using a sharp knife, split the acorn squash in half. Slice a small portion of the back side off, just enough to create a sturdy, flat surface for the squash. 

3. Heat oven to 400 degrees. 

 4. Melt butter. If using brown sugar, mix sugar into butter mixture. If NOT using brown sugar, pour half of butter into 1 squash half, then the other.  

5. Mix together maple syrup, agave nectar, and cinnamon. Using a basting brush, coat surface of squash with mixture. (Not the shell part!) Pour half into one shell, then the other. 

6. Place on cookie sheet and into heated oven. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until fork easily slides through.
Yield: 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment