Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cake Batter Cookies

Yes, that's right. Cake Batter cookies. Everybody likes cookies, everybody likes cake, why not do both??


Follow Me on Pinterest

Can you see the soft yellow coloring on these? I wonder what a white cake version would look like... Or red velvet, with white chocolate chips. Or spice cake cookies. Pineapple cake cookies!! OMG, too many thoughts at once.

Spent all day last Sunday, letting the cat in and out. Most important job ever, in case you didn't know. Poor thing, she only wants a cat door for Christmas. (No. She drags enough leaf bits, grass, and who knows what else in as it is. I can't keep up!) She is wearing her 'let me in' look here. About 15 to 30 seconds later, she's on the other side, wearing the imperious 'let me out' face. This one makes it all worth it. ;)

I read about making cookies with cake mix on Eat at Home, a fellow Kentucky based blogger.  She posts some awesome things. This one caught my eye, mostly because of the word 'cake', but also because of how simple it was! Only four main ingredients - a box of cake mix, eggs, canola oil, and yogurt. Then whatever add-ins you want. I used white and bitter-sweet chocolate chips. Yum yum yum.

Used Duncan Hines 'Butter Yellow' mix this first time.One of my worries was that they would turn out 'cakey'. Not at all! As you can hopefully see in the picture above, they spread like a Nestle Tollhouse cookie, and have a crisp exterior with soft interior. Everything a person wants and expects!

For my yogurt, I used Noosa Honey flavor. (I have to apologize to my friend M. She claims the right to all honey flavor in town, yet here I am, posting evidence of purchasing some.) Kroger in Owensboro recently started carrying this yogurt brand. If you've never tried it, I HIGHLY recommend. Best yogurt, ever, period, dot dot dot, etc. However, it's not exactly easy on the calories. To cut down on those (if you want. I mean, you're making cookies, might as well go for broke), use a low fat yogurt instead. For additional healthiness, replace some of the oil with apple sauce. Not sure what that will do to the cookie consistency, however, so be careful with the sauce.

They disappeared quickly, and that's just between John and I! Need to get back to the gym, stat.

As an addendum: what about brownie batter cookies??




print recipe

Cake Batter Cookies
Cookies made with cake mix. Yum.

Ingredients
  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Instructions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.2. In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, canola oil and yogurt. Fold in mix-ins.3. Place cookie batter by tablespoons on a baking sheet, about 2" apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. I had some trouble with sticking, make sure to let them completely cool on sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment