Monday, September 10, 2012

Tomato Pie

It has been a crazy almost two weeks since my last post. Significant things happened, reminding us how important it is to spend all the time we can with our families. Time is like air - it's free, but the less of it you have, the more precious it becomes.


Follow Me on Pinterest


I've done almost no cooking or baking over these past days, but I did get a chance to make something I've been wanting to try for months - Tomato Pie! With all the ripe tomatoes available at stands and grocery stores around town, I knew this would be a great time to try it.

I consider Tomato Pie a Southern recipe, although I've read blog articles from places far, far away from the humid mid-south that have made it. I didn't use hand-made pie crusts: no time. The recipe is altered from the Junior League of Owensboro's 'Home Again, Home Again' cookbook. I added fresh mozarella cheese, and substituted light mayo, slightly reduced in quantity. Also used dry herbs, instead of the fresh orginally called for in the recipe. Something has gotten into my herb garden, and eaten all my parsley! Robbers... (Probably the bunnies. They are everywhere in the neighborhood.)

Overall, very tasty, and earned much kudos from John and his brother Jeff, who was in town from Florida. Reminded us all a bit of pizza. Would definitely make again.




print recipe

Tomato Pie
Ingredients
  • 2 Pie Shells
  • 4 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and sliced
  • 3/4 cup Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise
  • 2/3 cup Mozzarella Cheese, cubed
  • 1 1/2 tsps dried oregano, parsley and basil
  • 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
  • a few dashes salt
Instructions
1. Prick the pie shell with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Remove from the over, maintaining the oven temperature.2. Layer the tomatoes in the pie shell, placing cubes of mozzarella at random. Mix the mayonnaise, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Spread over the tomatoes. 3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Yield: 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment