Friday, September 28, 2012

Black Bottom Cups

Another recipe from the Owensboro Junior League cookbooks! Made this one because I had to: we set up a booth at the Taste of Owensboro to hand out samples. I made over 100 of these tiny little cupcakes!

Look at what my mommy bought me!! Isn't it puuuurtty? (OK, I'll admit I'm a bit old to be calling Mom 'Mommy', but when she buys me a KitchenAid mixer.... Well... I'm not ashamed to stoop.) You can see my partial reflection in the bowl handle. So shiny and new~. Not after this, however! Was just looking for an excuse to use it.  Worked like a charm. Cheese cakes will be soooo much easier now. Although, having to hold that hand-held beater for half an hour was a calorie-burner, making it easier to justify the eating of said cheesecakes. Oh well!

This was my first time using a mini-muffin pan. Cooking small bites like this changes the cooking time, so I reduced the time called for originally in the recipe by half, and then watched very, very carefully. Wound up being that in my oven, 21 minutes turned out little cups of perfection.

I doubled the amount of cocoa called for in the original recipe. Nothing wrong with extra chocolate!! I could see making these with a pre-packaged box of brownie mix for the base, instead of making it from scratch. I'm not sure why the recipe calls for vinegar - it had a very potent smell as I was making these. Scent was completely gone by the time they had finished baking.

One of the other Junior Leaguer's who baked these had a problem with burning on the edges. First question I asked her was if she had a gas stove - yes - and did she use an aluminum or steel cup cake pan? Steel. (The ones in these picture are steel - they have a darker color.) For some reason, gas will fry baked goods if made in a non-aluminum pan. (Discovered this through personal experience.)

Also, make sure to use A TON of cooking spray in the pan if you aren't using paper cups. They really stick to the pan sides.

 Cute and tasty!!









print recipe

Black Bottom Cups
Ingredients
  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 TBS vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
1. Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside. 

2. In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat well. 

3. Fill mini muffin cups a 1/3 of the way. Top with a 1/2 tsp of cream cheese mixture. Here is what I specifically did - 1/2 teaspoon dark mixture, dollop on top of white. I SPECIFICALLY did this inexactly, however, and got some of the chocolate on the sides, etc. The subtle differences in appearance from cupcake to cupcake make for a prettier presentation. 

4. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 22 minutes. If in regular size muffin cups, back for 10 minutes more.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 50 Mini Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment