Sunday, August 25, 2013

The BLT

Anyone need some tomatoes? I planted 3 bushes this spring. Just 3. And I've got so many tomatoes they are going to waste! It's criminal.



However, someone, or should I say, SOMETHING, has been helping itself to what I'm not using. I noticed there were big holes in some of my roma tomatoes, like someone had opened up the side and eaten just the guts. Weird, I think to myself. Birds, maybe? I've seen the local cardinals going in and out of the bushes. But you wouldn't think they'd be so messy. I mean, they're just little birds, right? But I've found the gutted bodies of tomatoes dragged out to the front yard! How mysterious.

Well, low and behold, I come home one day early from work, and guess what I see? Squirrels. Squirrels, resting on the tomato cages, having themselves a grand old time! I got out to ask if they'd like some basil and mozzarella to go with that, make a nice caprese salad. Afraid they took off before I got the chance to ask, however. Oh, well. I'm not going to put nets over my plants to keep them out. Apparently they do that for water. Can't begrudge 'em, if they're thirsty. And I've got plenty to share.

So, BLTs. The Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato. A jewel of a sandwich, that summertime essential.
Hard to mess this one up. Bacon, (done extremely crisp as John likes it), lettuce, and fresh tomatoes, either from your garden, somebody else's, or from a local farmer's market. The taste of summer, as far as I'm concerned. Look at that deep red color!

Mine sandwiches were made with Nature's Own Oatnut toasted bread. Have y'all ever had that before? Very good stuff. I highly recommend. A little light mayo on both pieces of bread. (If your having bacon, might as well go for broke and put plenty of mayo on, too.) Then cut it down the center. Serve.

Ugh, the mouth is watering right now, and its 10 in the morning!







print recipe

The BLT
A summertime necessity.
Ingredients
  • 6 slices Wheat bread
  • 8 slices, or more, cause its so good Bacon, done extra crispy, as John likes it, broken in three pieces
  • 2 leaves, or as much as you like Lettuce, torn into smaller pieces
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 2 TBS light mayo
Instructions
1. Make the bacon, cooking slowly at just over medium heat. This is the best way to make it. Will crisp it up perfectly, without burning. 2. Meanwhile, make the toast. Set aside until bacon is done. Slice the tomatoes, chop the lettuce. If you're going to do some other fancy pants thing, like cheese, get it ready now. 3. Just after bacon has finished cooking, slather the mayo on. Layer the tomatoes and lettuce. Then, after ripping up the bacon into smaller pieces, (I tear them into threes), place it on one piece of the bread. Should be about 8 pieces per sandwich. 4. Slap the two sides together, cut in half, place on a plate, and EAT! Tell me if there's anything better than this sandwich. I'd like to hear about something better, if there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment