Saturday, June 29, 2013

Herbs de Provence

French food, and cooking, is something I've only spent a small amount of time on. I make a mean Coq au Vin, but that's about it. I like French wine, does that count too?


This recipe is the most famous of French herb mixes. It will be needed if you want to make my most recent eating passion, Pan Bagnat. And it's also perfect for the theme of this blog, which is how to handle not having unusual ingredients easily available in town. (In this case, the dried lavender flowers.) I purchased the flowers online, from a grocery store called Au Marche. Quick delivery, excellent quality items. Wish I could go to the actual store itself!

There are 10 different types of herbs in this mix. I had to buy 5 fresh off the shelves just for this: Tarragon, Marjoram, dried Rosemary (I keep a bush in the back yard for fresh), Summer Savory, and of course the Lavender. My friend JH asked if it was my '$65 herb mix'. Oh, the painful stab of truth! Yeah, JH, it is. It is. More expensive than that, honestly. *sigh* Whoever said cooking at home is cheap? (Actually, cooking at home IS cheaper. It's the building up of the pantry that's expensive!)

This mix makes enough to last a looooong time. Herbs de Provence possesses a wonderful scent. Reminds me of summer fields, when they are ready for baling, back in Nebraska. (This thought then makes me groan, as I remember how hot, difficult and itchy baling hay is.)

Dried savory, or dried summer savory as its also called, is similar to sage. It is NOT a reference to savory flavoring.

I've been placing this stuff on just about everything lately! Fish. Potato salad. Be creative!

Also, a Princess pic. Because she's just so darn cute! Not supposed to have milk, but she really, really, really, reeeeaaaaally wanted it.







print recipe

Herbs de Provence
The traditional blend of herbs. Every experienced chef has their own. Mine includes lavender, non-traditional, but commonly added because of all those tourists that love the lavender fields seen in Provence.
Ingredients
  • 2 TBS dried lavender flowers
  • 2 TBS dried rosemary
  • 1 TBS fennel seed
  • 2 TBS dried summer savory
  • 2 TBS dried thyme
  • 2 TBS dried basil
  • 2 TBS dried marjoram
  • 2 TBS dried parsley
  • 1 TBS dried oregano
  • 1 TBS dried tarragon
Instructions
1. Mix all ingredients together. Store in an air tight container. Put on anything you want to. Or dare to.

No comments:

Post a Comment