Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kentucky Derby Pie

Happy Derby Day! It's time for the biggest party in the United States, friends! John and I aren't going to the actual race this year, which is good, seeing how it's rainy and cold. We're going to a party instead. Last year we did go to Churchill Downs, and it was gorgeous weather. We were packed in there like sardines, and I won $0, too. (At a previous derby I attended however, I won $360 off a $20 bet. It rocked.) It'll be a muddy track this year, so its anybody's guess who will win! I will not be betting this year, however.... I'd rather spend my money on shoes. Or kitchen gadgets. I have a lot of kitchen gadgets. Need more!



Derby Pie is probably the most famous dish to come out of Kentucky, which is saying something. There are a lot of recipes unique to this state! The pie is very rich - butter, sugar, chocolate and pecans, with a shot (or two, for you drunks) of bourbon tossed in. What's not to like about a pie like that?? Some people don't like the bourbon in it however, and if you are one of these, suspect you might be, or are feeding someone who is, it's perfectly acceptable to leave the booze out.

Kern's Kitchen, which is still in operation, invented the original derby pie to serve at Brown's hotel (a place also famous for Hot Browns). Derby Pie's are in stores everywhere down here, which come in the box seen above. I bought one just to show y'all. The recipe is top secret! (And highly trade marked, too, fyi.) As you can tell, my pie did come out different. I was handed this recipe from someone down here (I'm sorry I forgot you, whoever you are), and it tastes pretty much the same. My guess is that Kern's layers the chocolates and pecans, then pours the bourbon sauce on top. Just a guess, though. Love the pressed pie crust, do you see it?

This pie is very easy to assemble. Place the eggs in a bowl, beat slightly. Add the sugar, vanilla, melted butter, bourbon. Stir. Slowly add the 1/4 cup of corn starch (not flour.) Then add the pecans and chocolate, and pour into your pie shell. (I used a cheater pie shell this time. Good old Pillsbury ready-mades! I DO have a recipe for a pie crust. Someday, we shall get to it.)

I used Lexington bourbon. (It's named after a famous race horse.) It's a very smooth, mellow bourbon whiskey, and is John's current favorite. Now. For the caveat. I live in Kentucky, the only place in which bourbon can be made. (Hence why Jack Daniels is a Tennessee WHISKEY.) We Kentucky dwelling folk have bourbon selections that can't be found anywhere else, so if you can't find Lexington, I would recommend using the finest bourbon you can get your hands on. Woodford Reserve is my suggestion, but it still won't have the smoothness and subtle flavor of Lexington. Sorry, all y'all from not around here!


Now, for a picture of my backyard. I had thought spring in Nebraska was beautiful. Wrong. I've never seen spring like in Kentucky. The flowers! Those are the azaleas IN MY BACKYARD. The entire city of Owensboro is like this! You should see the street we live on, color everywhere. The dogwoods and redbuds are all in full bloom, too. Flowers, flowers, flowers, everywhere. *sigh* Too bad they only last a few short weeks.

Something is up with the grass in the yard. John and I aren't sure what it is, but it's killing it. Need to get the lawn guy in here, to diagnose...





print recipe

Kentucky Derby Pie
The classic chocolate and pecan pie from Louisville, KY.
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 TBS bourbon
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (I actually used halves in this one)
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 TBS Vanilla extract
Instructions
1. Pour a finger of bourbon into a low-ball glass filled with four ice cubes. Add some water, and maybe a little plain syrup for the wimps like me. While sipping that slowly, in a large bowl combine the eggs, vanilla, sugar, melted butter and 2 TBS bourbon. Add the cornstarch to the mixture, blending it in slowly.2. Stir in the pecans and chocolate bits. Pour into an unbaked 9" pie shell.3. Bake in 350 degrees pre-heated oven. Leave uncovered for 15 minutes, then cover gently with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Yield: 8 Servings

No comments:

Post a Comment