Saturday, December 8, 2012

Baked Broccoli


Follow Me on Pinterest

Allow me to introduce you to today's lunch. Baked broccoli is the most amazing thing on earth. It's like eating candy. Or a hamburger, or filet mignon. Amazing.

I was at my friends TW and SW's house, and SW asked me if I'd ever eaten baked broccoli before. She'd found the recipe off of Pinterest (something of which I don't spend much time on, surprisingly), and fell head-over-heels in love with it. TW and SW apparently are eating baked broc 3 times a week!

I'm one for hype, so I tried it out on my own. WOW. John and I are eating this vegetable all the time now, too. Who knew that vegetables could be so dang tasty? Never steaming again! (Well, we'll see about that.)

After doing some research on this recipe, it looks like the original came from one Ina Garten's cookbooks, aka the Barefoot Contessa. I don't follow her, but this recipe blew me away. Will have to look into her more of her recipes!

Some tips - to get the best crispiness and browning, the broccoli needs to be dry. That means no washing. Ewww, I know. But I haven't died yet, and your going to be baking this in a 425 degree oven. What kind of bacteria is going to survive that?? If it's pesticides you're worried about, buy organic.

The original version of this called for lemon juice, but I have used balsamic vinegar instead. It's very good.

Try it. You will never view vegetables the same again.





print recipe

Baked Broccoli
December-8-2012
The tastiest way to serve vegetables. No, this is not a joke.
Ingredients
  • 1 lb or so broccoli florets
  • 2 TBS olive oil
  • to taste salt
  • to taste freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated cheese
  • 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
Instructions
1. After cutting the broccoli heads into small florets, pat them dry to soak up as much moisture as possible. Lay them out on a cookie sheet.2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.3. Place olive oil onto broccoli. I say 2 TBS of oil, but all I do is sprinkle it on top. Add salt and pepper. Mix all, until coated.4. Place in preheated over for 15 - 20 minutes. Watch to ensure vegetables do not burn.5. Remove broccoli from oven. Immediately place on cheese shreds. Then sprinkle on vinegar. Serve hot. Eat lots.

Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment