Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Exotic Cooking in Small City

I moved to a small town in central Kentucky almost 5 years ago, from Omaha, Nebraska. Now, Omaha may not be the biggest city ever, but at near 1 million people, it was a heck of a lot bigger than little Owensboro, at 50,000 souls! One of the things I miss most about the big city turned out to be the food: not only do big cities have so many more restaurant options, but the grocery stores also have more variety. This can make variety dining hard (Red Lobster and Olive Garden get so old), but simply making these foods is a challenge, too.

So, to solve this dilemma of mine, I turned to learning how to make the foods that I miss myself. Whether it be Indian, Thai or Vietnamese, to German, French and Italian food, if I want to eat it again without having to drive an hour away, then I need to figure out how to put it together! That doesn't mean I intend on limiting myself to foreign cuisine. As a girl from the Great Plains, southern cooking can be just as exotic as the most difficult Punjabi dish!  This blog is both a personal documentation of my cooking adventures, but also an effort to show others who are in the same situation I am on how to make the food I crave, or have always wanted to try, without having to take a weekend trip just to get it.